- What are the different kinds of resins Natur-Tec provides?
- What are the preferred applications for Natur-Tec resins?
- What are the main advantages of Natur-Tec resins when compared to other bioplastics?
- Are Natur-Tec resins approved for food contact?
- Are Natur-Tec resins certified as compostable material according to EN 13432 or ASTM D6400?
- Are films and other finished products made from Natur-Tec automatically certified according to EN 13432 or ASTM D6400?
- Do Natur-Tec resins contain harmful substances?
- Is it possible to print films made from Natur-Tec resins?
- Is it possible to color Natur-Tec resins?
- What equipment is necessary for processing Natur-Tec resins?
- Which traditional plastic resins do Natur-Tec resins compare to?
- What are the storage conditions for Natur-Tec resins in original packaging? What is the best way to store Natur-Tec resins before use?
- Do Natur-Tec resins need to be dried before processing?
- How does moisture in resin affect resin processing and properties?
- Is it possible to recycle Natur-Tec trim and scrap film?
- Can Natur-Tec resins be blended with other traditional resins such as PE,PP, or PS?
- What are the barrier properties of Natur-Tec resins?
- What is the heat deflection temperature of Natur-Tec injection molding resins?
- What is the recommended end-of-life management for Natur-Tec resins?
Natur-Tec® has three resins commercially available for film extrusion, injection molding and extrusion coating applications. These resins can further be tailored to suit specific application needs for increased toughness or stiffness.
|Film BF703B-X||carrier or shopping bags, trash or lawn and leaf waste bags, as well as for the production of agricultural and mulch film|
|Injection Molding BN252T, BM272, BM364T, BM324T||biobased and biodegradable resins that can be used for making cutlery, pens, hangers, eyeglasses, cell phone covers, etc|
|Extrusion Coating BM382TJ||coat various grades of paper for making disposable & compostable cups; pouches; etc.|
Natur-Tec resins are sold as a master batch system and can be blended in different proportions to optimize cost vs. performance requirements. Natur-Tec resins do not contain any starch and are less sensitive to humidity providing increased shelf life in environment of use.
Natur-Tec resins are all made from polymers; additives and/or inorganic fillers that are either FDA approved or have GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) status.
No! Film or injection molded parts made from Natur-Tec resins are not automatically certified according to EN 13432 or ASTM D6400. Each converter who wants to use the compostability mark for their products made from Natur-Tec resin must apply for a license for their films or parts at DIN Certco or AIB-Vinçotte (per EN 13432) or at BPI (per ASTM D6400). Such a certificate is valid only for the finished product of the tested thickness.
No! Natur-Tec develops, produces and markets its grades in compliance with international compostability and environmental standards. They pass strict heavy metal requirements and plant toxicity tests as specified in EN 13432. Natur-Tec film resins have also passed Earthworm toxicity tests (conducted by Organic Waste System (OWS) in Belgium) required by AS 4736 to obtain the Australian ABA seedling logo.
Films made from Natur-Tec resins can be printed without any corona treatment using offset printing or flexoprinting.
Bio-based color master batches can be used for coloring without any problems. Polyethylene/polypropylene based color master batches should not be mixed with Natur-Tec resins to remain compliant with compostability standards.
Natur-Tec resins can be processed on conventional LDPE blown film lines, PS injection molding machines or PE extrusion coating lines. Extrusion blow molding of Natur-Tec resins has also been conducted on PE lines.
|Natur-Tec Resin||Comparable Traditional Plastic Resin|
|BF703B-X||Broad range of film resins comparable to PE for tensile strengths and elongation and with improved dart impart strength|
|BF3002||Injection molding HIPS and PP grades|
|BF3001J||PE coating for water-proofing, sealability, grease resistance on paper|
Natur-Tec resins should be stored in a dry, cooler, frost-free place. Provided that the packaging is unopened and remains undamaged, the storage time under these conditions is minimum 6 months.
Natur-Tec highly recommends the drying of its resins before processing. It is possible to process the material directly if residual moisture is below 0.2%. Depending on the storage conditions, it may be necessary to rest the residual moisture content and dry the material at 80°C for 3-4 hours.
Moisture in resin will decrease the shelf life of your product and cause a more rapid deterioration of properties. Additionally, processing of the resin will not be consistent. It might be difficult to keep a stable bubble in case of injection molding or one might see pin-holding in case of extrusion coating.
Yes, Natur-Tec resins and parts can be recycled. We recommend a maximum of 10% feedback when combined with virgin material. However, we suggest that our customers conduct their own trials to test ultimate properties of the desired product. Also, only clean material (not transition material contaminated with PE or other traditional plastics) should be recycled.
No! Natur-Tec resins are designed for disposable compostable applications or durable biobased solutions. The resins do not blend well with plastics such as PE, PP, or PS and will deteriorate the properties of your end-product.
Natur-Tec resins make highly breathable films compared to polyethylene films. As such the films can be used directly without the need to punch holes for breathability in some applications. This property arises naturally for all Natur-Tec resins due to the fact that these resins are biodegradable and as such absorb moisture and oxygen when in the compost environment for easy disintegration.
Natur-Tec BF3002 resin when molded at room temperature has a heat deflection temperature of 140°F (60°C) but using specific post-annealing step or molding at higher temperature this temperature can be increased to 190°F (88°C). Please contact technical service on how to improve the heat deflection temperature of these resins for your applications.
Natur-Tec compostable products should be disposed of preferably in industrial composting facilities (following the local regulations). Landfill or incineration are not environmentally suitable options for Natur-Tec resins and defeats the value proposition of the sustainable solution.